23 East Center Street
Kaysville, Utah 84037
Code Enforcement, Engineering, Planning & Zoning, Business Licenses
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM TO 5:00 PM
Accessory buildings UNDER 200 square feet do not require a permit, but are required to follow zoning regulations. If you are adding electrical and/or plumbing, then a permit will need to be issued for that portion.
Accessory Use or Building - A use or building subordinate to the principal use of a building or principal use on the same lot, and serving a purpose customarily incidental to the use of the principal building or use. Garden sheds, greenhouses, storage shelters, and covered patios not equipped for use as living quarters are accessory buildings.
17-31-2 Accessory Buildings
- All accessory buildings shall comply with the provisions of this Title. No accessory building shall be located in any front yard or *required side yard.
- Any accessory building attached to the main building shall be made structurally a part of the main building and shall comply in all respects with the requirements of this Title applicable to the main building.
- One story detached accessory buildings smaller than 200 square feet shall not be located so that they cause storm water runoff onto the adjacent property. Accessory buildings 200 square feet or larger shall have the required permits and be located not closer than one foot (1') to the adjacent property line and so that storm water does not run off onto the adjacent property.
- Accessory buildings in any zone shall occupy no more than twenty percent (20%) of the lot area less the footprint area of the main building. An accessory building shall not exceed ten percent (10%) of the lot area or three thousand (3,000) square feet, whichever is more restrictive. Accessory buildings may exceed three thousand (3,000) square feet in area by conditional use in the zones where allowed by conditional use.
- Accessory building shall not exceed in height the line created by a point twelve feet (12') above ground at the property line and extending upwards from that point at a 45 degree angle towards the interior of the property, up to the maximum building height allowed in the zone.
- Buildings housing farm animals shall comply with KCC 17-24-3
*See Title 17 for yard requirements of Kaysville City zoning districts and 17-2-2 for definition of Yards
Easements: Structures located in an easement such as a Public Utility Easement (P.U.E.) are placed at the property owner’s risk and the structure may be required to be removed at the property owner’s personal expense should an entity with rights to the easement require access to that easement at any time.
Accessory Buildings Guide – Sample Drawings
Permitted Location of an Accessory Building
Permitted Accessory Building Height
Plans submitted for a building permit must demonstrate the building is within the allowed building envelope.