Building permits are required on any new construction, remodels and repairs including (but not limited to):
- Any electrical, mechanical or plumbing
- Basement finishes
- New Commercial buildings
- Any Changes to Commercial Buildings (Tenant Improvements)
- Detached garages, sheds, etc. which measure at 200 square feet or larger (and any electrical or plumbing in any size structure)
- Electrical services - upgrades and most repairs
- Fences over 7 feet in height
- Furnace / Air Conditioning and Water Heater Replacement
- Retaining walls that are more than 4 feet from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
- Single and multiple family dwellings (PDF)
- Swimming pools
- Starting January 1, 2010, Residential Re-roofs that require stripping of the old roofing (see roofing requirements).
If you are unsure if your project requires a building permit, please contact us at 801-544-1363.
Flat cement work does not require a permit UNLESS work is being done in the City right-of-way (1 foot inside of sidewalk to the street). Permits for any work done in that area can be obtained at the Public Works Department.
Notice of Impact Fee Increase
An updated Impact Fee Facilities Plan and Impact Fee Analysis was adopted by the Kaysville City Council in February of 2019. The adoption of this new Impact Fee Facilities Plan means an increase in Impact Fees effective July 1, 2019
Any building permits received after June 30, 2019 that require payment of impact fees will be assessed at the new rate.
Questions may be addressed by calling Kaysville City at 801-546-1241
Attention All Contractors: Credit Card Policy Change for Building Permits
Beginning January 1, 2019, Kaysville City will no longer accept credit card and/or debit card transactions for payment of $1,000 or greater for building permit fees. American Express will not be accepted regardless of transaction amount. The City will accept checks and cash only for these transactions of $1,000 or greater. This policy change is a result of Kaysville City's on-going credit card agreement and prevents customers from additional transaction fees.
Permit applications (PDF) can also be obtained in the Building Department at City Hall. Two complete sets of plans (including site plans are required for residential permits (drawn to scale). Applications are reviewed in the order they were received. Most permits take approximately two weeks for review. Fees must be paid at the time the building permit is issued.
Fire Sprinkler and Fire Alarms Submittals and Inspections:
When installing new or modifying existing fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems in Kaysville City it’s the Building Department NOT the Fire Department that handles the submittals and the approvals of plans, and the inspections.
Please submit 3 sets paper plans or one set of electronic plans to the Kaysville City Building Department and NOT to a 3rd party approval agency.